Delicious Sausage Egg Cups – Bite-Sized Breakfast Delights
Egg cups are my go-to for feeding my boyfriend Darroch, healthy breakfasts. As he works at the local airport, he has many options to stray from healthy eating if he doesn’t have a good meal on hand.
Egg cups, also commonly known as egg muffins, are easy to whip up and store for breakfasts throughout the week.
After months of playing around with them, I have figured out the very best techniques, tools and flavour combos to make the perfect egg cup.
Our go-to flavour combination is chipolatas and cheese, but I also really love spinach and feta and cheesy jalapeno. The options are endless.
Here is some well-earned advice from many failed attempts of making egg cups over the last year and a bit.
Firstly, invest in silicon cupcake moulds. I bought mine from Yuppiechef forever ago and remember that they were quite cost-effective. You can shop around for cheaper or find them here.
Secondly, avoid adding wet ingredients at the bottom of your cups. Any vegetables are a no-no! The eggs will split and get stuck at the bottom. I have done this using mushrooms and tomatoes and failed every time. Instead, add your eggs and everything and then lastly place the vegetables on the very top. This way, their moisture has a way of escaping and prevents a soggy egg mess.
Lastly, be sure to store them in an air-tight container. I make the egg cups on a Sunday and store them until the next Friday. I make about 12 every week, sending two to work with Darroch two at a time. The spare two usually get devoured while he waits for dinner to be served.
So there you have it, I hope you enjoy this effortless recipe. Let me know what kind of flavour combinations you plan to try out.
With My Love,
- 12 - Large Organic Eggs
- 12 - Chipolata Pork Sausages
- 6 - Cherry Tomatoes
- A Pinch Mixed Herbs
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tbsp - Olive Oil
- Handful of Grated Cheese
- Heat oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5
- In a baking tray, place silicon cups and spray with cook-spray - set aside
- In a small frying pan, heat oil and cook chipolatas until browned on sides - set aside
- Chop cherry tomatoes in half - set aside
- Crack 1 egg into each silicon cup
- Add pinch of mixed herbs and crack of salt and pepper
- Mix in a pinch of grated cheese
- Add chipolate sausages to egg cups
- Top egg cups with half a cherry tomato
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes
- Once done, remove and let cool down before removing from silicon cups.
- Pack in air-tight container and store in fridge