Roasted Butternut Hummus – The Perfect Snack for Healthy January
Hummus is an incredibly versatile recipe and can be adapted to fit whatever you have in your fridge. To embrace healthy eating in January, I made a roasted butternut hummus.
We have all had the classic hummus but there are so many various options out there to make your hummus even more delicious. I have seen shops selling red pepper, beetroot, avo and jalapeno variations over the years.
Pick n Pay does this vegetable combo deal where you get an option of four different vegetables for R100.00. To stretch money in January, it is smart to buy these combos as they give you more bang for your buck.
I challenged myself to get creative with the vegetables I bought. The four I chose were tomatoes, gem squash, potatoes and butternut. Now all of these are great sides for meals but what can we do to make them better?
That is where the hummus came in. I made the decision, just like millions of other people, to do a healthy January. Hummus and crudités are the perfect healthy snack. But it also goes well inside a healthy wrap or mixed into a roasted vegetable salad. The options are endless.
This recipe is great to make on a Sunday during meal prep. It stores in the fridge well and tastes amazing on everything! It is also vegan so if you are taking part in Veganuary, this is the recipe for you!
You want your butternut to caramelise a little, it gives it a deeper flavour which morish!
The hummus is incredibly creamy and slightly on the sweet side. If you want to spice it up a little, chilli oil or some dried chilli flakes over the top is also a good alternative.
I hope you enjoy this recipe, let me know which variations of hummus you enjoy the most!
With My Love,
- 1 Butternut (±700g)
- 8 Tbsp - Olive Oil
- 1 Tin Chickpeas
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 A Lemon
- 2 Tbsp - Tahini
- 1 Tsp - Ground Cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 220°C/fan 200°C.
- While oven heats, peel and chop butternut into cubes.
- Place butternut cubes in roasting tray along with two cloves of garlic and drizzle in olive oil, flavour with salt and pepper.
- Roast butternut for 45 to 50 minutes, tossing every 20 minutes or so.
- Remove butternut from oven and allow to cool.
- In a bowl or food processor, add drained and washed chickpeas, the juice of half a lemon and all remaining ingredients.
- Blend all ingredients together until a creamy consistency has been reached.
- To serve, drizzle over olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika.