Recipe: Apple Crisp – A Delicious Treat, Perfect for Winter Nights
Can you feel it in the air? The chill is dissipating and the warmth is rolling in, Summer is well on the way. Don’t get me wrong, I do love the Winter but only because I get to eat all the comfort foods without any guilt. One of those comforts is a cheeky Sunday pudding or a brownie for lunch… Yes, I actually did that the other day, I ordered a brownie with ice-cream for lunch. I carry no shame in admitting it!
So as I said, it is starting to get warmer and darker later but there are still one or two chilly evenings in store for us. This absolutely scrumptious dessert is perfect for those evenings. It literally makes your mouth water while cooking because the smell floats through the whole house and over to the neighbours as well. I was convinced my neighbour would come bang on the door to moan at how distracting my baking was.
When I made it I just sat in the lounge screaming how delicious the house smells, growing impatient with waiting to shovel this gooey/crunchy apple crisp into my gob.
Apple desserts fall into my top 3! Anything with cooked apple is a winner in my books.
This recipe will not disappoint, with a splash of cream or a ball of ice-cream, it is the perfect dessert to serve to a family with a big sweet tooth.
With this batch I used 1 cup of sugar, next time I will use half because I used sweet red apples and once caramelised, they became even sweeter. I love baked goods but sometimes they can be a little too sweet.
The reason I chose to feature this as my winter dessert was that I had bought too many apples. I had planned to eat an apple a day but that didn’t happen. Not one to waste, I decided an Apple Crisp would be great.
The recipe is an easy one and you are not required to cook the apples beforehand. This means fewer dishes for everyone, yippee!
The apples cook in all the juices and it all turns to a sweet caramel. The crisp on top stays crunchy and delicious. You can find this winner recipe below (this recipe hasn’t actually won anything other than my approval).
If you try this recipe, let me know x
With My Love,
Ingredients (Filling & Topping)
- 1 Bag - Small Red Apples
- 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup - Fresh Orange Juice
- 3/4 Cup - Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon - Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon - Ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 Teaspoon - Ground Cloves
- 3 Tablespoons - Butter, cut into cubes (they must be cold)
- 3 Tablespoons - All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 Cup - Butter (Set aside for the topping)
- 1/2 Cup - Rolled Oats (Set aside for the topping)
- 1/3 Cup - All Purpose Flour (Set aside for the topping)
- 1/4 Cup - Sugar (Set aside for the topping)
- Set your oven to 190 Degrees Celsius.
- Peel all apples, core and cut evenly.
- Grease baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, add apples, lemon and orange juice, sugar and the spices. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Then add in the flour and cold, cut butter. Mix well and pour into greased baking dish.
- In another mixing bowl, add all topping ingredients together and using your hands, blend butter into dry ingredients until a crumble is formed. Don't over-work it as the butter will melt.
- Scatter crumble over apple mixture and bake until apples are soft and sauce has turned a rich golden colour.
- Serve with cream or ice-cream while Apple Crisp is still warm!