Refreshing Summer Ginger Beer, A Perfect Poolside Drink
Johannesburg has been knocked by heatwave after heatwave and it wasn’t even officially summer. Now that it actually is summer, I am so nervous about how much hotter it could get!
Don’t get me wrong, I love summer, I would much rather be hot than cold as for me, it is easier to cool off than warm up.
During my Jamie Oliver cooking challenge (which I have yet to complete) I made a few stunner recipes and the one that came in handy during the unwavering heat was his easy peasy ginger beer.
The drink is simple to make and I found, gets tastier the longer it stands. I also have the best kitchen hack for you!!!
I often purchase knobs of ginger and only need a small amount. They then sit in my fridge and shrivel. It drives me knuts but I have since learned, thanks to those 5-minute kitchen hack videos, that if you peel the ginger, you can freeze it and it works just as good.
The best part is, it’s so much easier to work with while frozen. Grating it becomes a less labour intensive task as the ginger doesn’t become stringy.
The ginger beer recipe is from Jamie’s Naked Chef series and was surprisingly easy.
I finished an entire 1-litre jug by myself in one day, it was such a refreshing treat. It isn’t too sweet or too sour. The only thing I wasn’t a huge fan of was the fact that the bubbles of the sparkling water died during the 10-minute steeping period.
I would be quite curious to see if a spiked version could be made, instead of using sparkling water, a light beer. I do love an alcoholic ginger beer so I imagine it could be quite delicious.
How have you been coping in the heat?
With My Love,
- 5cm Knob Ginger
- 4 Tbsp - Mascavado Sugar
- Juice of 3 Lemons
- 1 Litre of Sparking Water
- Fresh Mint
- Grate Ginger and add Mascavado Sugar to bowl.
- Peel the skin off two of the Lemons, adding it to the bowl.
- Softly bash the Lemon skins for 10 seconds to release the oils and flavour.
- Squeeze the juice of the three lemons into the bowl.
- Leave the bowl for a few minutes then add Sparkling Water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Place a sieve over a nice jug and pass the mixture through it.
- Add a few lemon slices. sprigs of mint and ice to serve.