Apple Crumble Muffins – The breakfast snack everyone wants more of…
Apples, oh apples! My heart sings for desserts made with apples. Stew them, roast them, shove them in a pie, I will eat a cooked apple any way you serve it.
As they say, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. When I first started this blog, I shared my apple crisp recipe, just before the start of Summer. Now as we edge our way to the start of Winter, warm apple fragranced with cinnamon and nutmeg is just what you want.
My brother has been living with me and to make food go further, I have been baking a batch of muffins each week so everyone has breakfast. This past week I whipped up a batch of Apple Crumble muffins. They were inspired by a project I did in my final year of high school.
In Consumer Studies (aka Home Economics), we had to make a muffin mix jar filled with all dry ingredients. Mine was apple and cinnamon. I dehydrated the apple in the oven and layered it into the jar with all the other ingredients.
Growing up I would stew apples when I had a sweet tooth so the love for the flavour combo is a long one. Turning it into a muffin was the next natural step. Adding the crumble topping put the muffins on another level!
My brother shared a few at work and came home saying that his colleagues wanted the recipe. I was pressed to do one more tester batch before getting this online and quickly did so one night after work. The second batch was just as delicious as the first.
So here we are, a dessert disguised as breakfast. At least my winter clothes don’t judge!
Is it starting to cool down where you stay? If so, a warm batch of these muffins should lift the onset of winter blues in an instant! Let me know if you try them out.
With My Love,
- 2 cups - All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons - Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon - Salt
- 1 teaspoon - Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon - Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 cup - Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup - Muscarvado Sugar
- 1/2 cup - Granulated White or Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 teaspoons - Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup - Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup - Milk
- 2 Cubed Golden Delicious Apples
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Prep crumb topping (See note below)
- Line a 12-count muffin pan with muffin cups and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Mix in the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream until well combined, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the dry ingredients and the milk and mix until just combined. Fold in the chopped apples.
- Fill the muffin cups to the brim and sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Once ready, place on cooling rack and allow to cool completely before storing them in a Tupperware.